Wow, we've never seen hair as healthy and as shiny as those of the models that walked the runway at Sonia Rykiels Spring/Summer 2012 fashion show. It's what every woman wants!
“It’s 1940s meets 1970s, very flirty and pretty,” says Guido Palau, Redken's creative consultant.
Get the Look
- Apply a blow drying lotion to damp hair and blow dry with a round brush
- In the midst of blowdrying with the round brush, lift at the roots and away from the scalp to create gorgeous, voluminous hair
- Once hair is completely dry, create a center part
- Mist on a thermal setting mist section by section and begin to curl your hair with a 1-inch iron.
- Gently brush out the curls to smooth and finish with a versatile working spray
Photo Credit: REDKEN, BeautyPress.com
Don't do this! We've all seen these make up mishaps, the overpowdered nose, the too light concealer, too dark foundation, and then the case of bad blush (YIKES!) Be sure that these common make up mistakes don't happen to you!
- Avoid Overpowdering Having too much powder will make you look 10 years older than you really are...and no one wants that unless you're 16, right? So, when applying powder, dip the application brush into the powder and tap it against the rim of the container. Lightly 'flick' the brush across your face in circular motions to blend in. Don't be greedy with the powder, lighten up and you can always dip back in for more!
- Too Light Undereye Concealer Great for Halloween, not so great on a daily basis, this beauty no-no is very common and can be easily avoided. Of course we all want to hide those dark spots and circles under our eyes, but even better, covering it with the exact same color of our skin tone. With under eye concealer, it's a tricky thing. You see, you want it to be a bit lighter than your skin tone but NOT any more than one tone lighter. When applying the concealer, swipe and pat. Do not drag your fingers under your eyes, this is a very sensitive area. Pat, pat, pat!
- Too Dark Foundation You know, there is bronzer for that?! Don't play slick and go a tone darker than your natural skin tone. People notice! Stick to matching your foundation with your skin tone and later on, apply a bronzer! Don't forget to apply to the neck and jawline!
- Bad Blush Dab your blush brush into a peachy, pink powder and ever so lightly sweep it upwards on your cheeks. The key to not overblushing is to apply a small amount of powder and to very (very) lightly stroke the brush against your cheeckbones.
Spring cleaning refers to beauty too! Time for a beauty update and time for spring cleanin' in that makeup bag of yours! Updating your brushes, mascara, eye shadows, foundations and powders are very important! Not only does switching up your beauty regime matter, but it's most important to throw out those old beauty products and utilities and start fresh for the new season.
Take charge and get into the spring of things by updating your beauty regimen and do some spring cleaning in that makeup case of yours!
- Get to the bottom of it all! Dump it all out (ugh, yes) and make three piles. A 'I don't use this, this is garbage' pile, a 'I use this daily pile' and a 'I use this, but not on a daily basis pile'.
- Throw out that garbage pile! Wasn't that easy?
- Now check your other two piles for quality and quantity. If you're not completely satisfied with the product or you can't remember when you purchased it, get rid of it. It's not worth the blemish or eye infection in the long run!
- Not sure if they're good? Mascara lasts only three to four months. Foundation can last up to two years (but still, be careful!), lipstick and gloss can last up to three years and eye and lip pencil lasts to three to five years (as long as you sharpen them before each use and keep them 'fresh')
- Create a daily makeup bag and another bag of trendy or beauty products you use, just not on a daily basis. This will create an easy, stress free morning of getting ready!
- Clean your makeup brushes. You can clean your brushes with a shampoo or foaming face wash. Be sure to use warm water and lather up! Rinse the brushes thoroughly until the water turns clear. Stroke the brush on your wrist to be sure all power/foundation is removed. Lay the brushes flat to dry on a clean towel.
Photo Courtesy: Sonia Rykiel/BeautyPress.com
We love nothing more than a classy, flirty, yet preppy look. Sonia Rykiel's Spring/Summer 2012 collection offered us a classic, timeless, and simplistic look.
“Inspired by Sonia herself- this season the look is a little 1940s meets 1970s, very flirty and pretty. The style is a healthy, bouncy blow-dry with a deep left side part, curls at the end and a black barrette an inch above the right eye to add a bit of sophistication.”
Apply a blow-dry lotion to damp hair and blow dry making sure to lift the roots away from the scap (for volume)
With a comb, create a deep left side part
Mist a thermal setting mist onto hair for protection of heat when using a 1-inch iron, pin set the hair.
Let hair down and softly brush curls out -- hair should be smooth, leaving the curls in at the ends
Secure a 1/2 inch black barette about an inch above the right eye for added sophistication
Work in some working spray to complete the look
At the Narciso Rodriguez's Spring/Summer 2012 fashion show, Shiseido's artistic director Dick Page created the beauty look, including face, eyes and lips.He described the makeup and beauty for this collection as “intensely monochromatic.”
We do have to agree, we love the fact that only two or three products were used to create this amazing look, intensely monochromatic indeed.
Photo Courtesy: Narciso Rodriguez/Shiseido/BeautyPress.com
Create the Look:
- Apply a 'wash' of foundation to the face to create a natural, 'nothing-y' base (no concealer or blush was used)
- Use a soft brown, matte cream base and apply on the entire lid (Shiseido Makeup Shimmering Cream Eye Color was used)
- Take a fluff brush and blend the cream onto the upper & lower areas of the eyes (make sure the color is diffused evenly & properly)
- No mascara or eyeliner was used
- Blend the same soft brown, matte cream base used on the eyes on the lips and blend with a rouge shimmery lipstick (Shiseido Makeup Shimmering Rouge Lipstick was used)
- Diffuse both shades with finger, creating a well-blended, soft, shimmering effect. Dick described the lips as a “shimmer version of the eye.”
Photo Courtesy: Narciso Rodriguez/Shiseido/BeautyPress.com
Paris, Spring Summer 2012. Celine beauty was crisp, clean and the perfect match with the spare sportswear collection. Guido, a Redken creative consultant describes the look as, "very simple, very straight, almost severe. The idea was to create rich-looking, beautiful hair to go with the clothing. We’re creating both center and deep side parts, finishing with a touch of shine flash 02 just to smooth some of the flyaway’s which creates a perfectly pin straight clean finish.”
Create the look for yourself
- Apply a blow drying lotion to damp hair and blow dry your hair straight
- Create a deep, exagerated right side part
- Mist straightening spray onto hair for heat protection and flat iron your hair for a very sleek look
- Tuck hair behind your ears and finish with a quick dry finishishing spray
Photo Courtesy: BeautyPress.com/Celine
Alexander McQueen beauty, hair, and collections are typically whimsical, futuristic, and not likely to be worn on a daily basis. HOWEVER, this simple and semi-everyday look is wearable & can be worn for just the right occasion, whatever it is you deem it to be. This look is definitely considered a fun, different type of braid look. As hair stylist Guido, who perfected this look says, 'this look is not one that is wearable', we take his styling tips and some of our tricks for a look that can be rocked for..well just the right occasion.
Create the Look:
- On clean hair, apply a multi-care oil and blowdry it to create a soft shine
- Take hair & start by grabbing a circular section at the crown, and divide it into 3 sections, beginning to French braid the hair, starting at the middle.
- Continue braiding until you reach right under your ear, going all the way counter clockwise
- Pull out a few wisps of hair to keep the final look easy and soft.
- Top off the look with a beret or headband for a complete, wearable look
At this show, Redken Creative consultant Guido created intricate hair masks for each model--this truly created a fabulous, fantasy like look.
"Overall this season, there was a simplicity and wearablility to the styles we created, but this is not one of them. Often we talk about Fashion Week hairstyles as being more fantasy and aspirational, and the look we created today at Alexander McQueen is just that. All the models are wearing these very intricate masks that I designed with Sarah [Burton] and the idea came from the masks we created for the McQueen exhibit at the Met in New York. It's always fun and different to work in a design capacity, so when Sarah showed me the collection, the "hair" evolved from there. Each headpiece is slightly individual. In order for the masks to fit on the models' heads, we braided the hair underneath. This made the overall look more embellished and richer, as you can slightly see the braids through the mask.”
What's your sign? We took the time to pair up your personality traits with the scents that suit you best! Enjoy!
Aquarius January 21-Feb 19 Moschino Friends by Moschino
Friendly, honest, loyal, original, inventive, independent, intellecutal
Pisces –Feb 20-March 20 Inspiration by Lacoste
Deeply empathtic, gently, patient, inspired, postitive, kind, social
Aries – March 21-April 19th Paul Smith Optimistic by Paul Smith
Independent, generous, optimistic, enthusiastic, courageous
Taurus—April 20-May 20 Chloe intense by Chloe
Dependable, persistent, loyal, patient, generous, patient, warm hearted, careful, decisive, intense and passionate
Gemini- May 21-June 20 Benetton Energy Pop by Benetton
Energetic, clever, imaginative, witty, adaptable
Cancer June 21-July 22 Pierre Cardin Emotion perfume
Loyalty, dependable, caring, adaptable, responsive, cozy, comfortable, emotional
Leo July 23-August 22 Play by Givenchy
Confident, Ambitious, generous, loyal, encouraging, playful, loving
Virgo August 23-September 22 Cold by Benetton by Pierre Cardin
Analytical, observant, helpful, reliable, precise, at times cold
Libra September 23-October 22 Philosophy Amazing Grace body butter by Philosophy
Diplomatic, graceful, peaceful, idealistic, hospitable
Scorpio Oct 23-Nov 21 Ralph Lauren Romance by Ralph Lauren
Loyal, passionate, resourceful, observant, dynamic
Sagittarius – November 22-December 21 Moschino Funny! Perfume by Moschino
Independent, optimistic, honest, lively, great sense of humor
Capricorn – December 22-January 19 Realities perfume by Liz Claiborne
Responsible, patient, ambitious, resourceful, loyal , organized, realistic, strong, and needs excessive perfection
Aquarius—Jan20 – Feb 18 Desire cologne by Alfred Dunhill
Clever, witty, humanitarian, inventive, original, sociable, idealist, tactless, desires change, and likes fame
Pisces – Feb 19-Mach 20 Ellen Tracy Imagine by Ellen Tracy
Compassionate, Adaptable, accepting, devoted, imaginative
Achieving a clear, flawless complexion is no easy task, but when you mix and match the right products and a certain regimen, having a flawless face is no problem!
Wash Your Face
This may seem like a no brainer, but it's true, and lots of people don't take this wise advice to wash your face every morning and every night (no matter how late you get home from a night out). Did you wash your face this morning? Dust, dirt and bacteria do accumulate on your skin in your beauty sleep, so be sure to rid that to start a fresh day! Use warm water to open the pores and after cleansing, finish with a splash of cold to close those pores up!
Drink LOTS of Water
Water is the key to a clear complexion and not only healthy skin, but a healthy body, soul, and mind. Get a gorgeous glow after drinking water, lots of it. This won't happen over night, but guaranteed, a few weeks in, you'll thank us!
Tea Trea Oil
Apply tea tree oil to blemishes with a cotton swab. It may smell a bit odd, but this natural ingredient works well to clear spots.
Berries, nuts, salmon, oatmeal...these foods have supplements that will provide your skin the right amount of goodness to heal, repair, and improve your overall complexion.
Use that SPF
Another common sense tip, but unfortunately is not so common. It's very important to protect your skin that you work oh so hard, to keep looking lively and young. Use SPF to block the harmful rays and yes, use in the winter season too! You can easily get a moisturizer or foundation with SPF already it in for easy application.
From celebs like Vanessa Hudgens, Felicity Jones, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, & Blake Lively, the cat eye trend is hot, hot this season and so simple to do. Create the classic cat eye look that is playful and quirky with these 7 tips.
- First, you want to apply a base eyeshadow on the entire upper lid. This should be a low key color, so stick with nudes or a neutral matte shadow
- Use a light eye liner pencil to outline the cat eye wing as a 'template' for what comes next. The line you draw should start out thin and thicken as it gets closer to the outer corner of your eyes
- Time to break out the black eyeliner for that classy, edgy look
- Start by using a pencil liner -- if you're quite a pro at eye liner application, skip the pencil liner and use a liquid or gel liner
- Line your upper lid as close to the lash line as possible
- Begin to slant your eyeliner upwards 1/4 inch towards the outerpart of your eye
- Make the wing as long or as short as you wish. The longer the wing, the higher impact you will achieve.